Thoughts from The Vicarage with flowers, Gift Day and thank you!
Greetings and welcome to our new readers – it’s been a pleasure to meet you this week!
Please find attached Pews News and St Michael’s Gift Day letter.
Firstly – thank you to those friends of Alistair & Richard Cook who arranged flowers from their gardens for the funeral of Sally on Tuesday. If you get a chance do pop into St Michael’s they are still looking beautiful. There is a photo of one arrangement in Pews News! Our prayers are with the family.
Thank you very much to all those who have prayed, sent cards and goodies or helped out while Mr Vicarage has been poorly – he is recovering and becoming quite adventurous around the house along with his leg brace and crutches!
From Monday afternoon to Thursday morning next week, I will be on retreat so will be away from Parish. Please contact the Churchwardens or Christine for anything urgent. Thanks so much to those who will be ministering to Mr Vicarage over those days. He won’t be rushing downstairs to answer the bell or be out in the garden and if you see him out and about then contact me immediately!
Looking ahead to Sunday we have services in All Saints and St Michael’s this week and all are very welcome to join us for worship. Please see the attached Pews News for times, readings and prayers. Never hesitate to request prayer either for yourself or on behalf of someone else. Please remember though to check with the person if their name is to appear in Pews News.
Gift Day is fast approaching in Lambourn. I’m looking for more volunteers to deliver letters which are at the moment sitting in church! If you are walking a dog, taking some exercise or simply fancy a walk please pop into church and see if you could pick up some gift day letters to deliver on the way – thank you!
This year, our focus is on our organ, an early ‘Father Willis’ organ of national importance and one which takes pride of place within the Diocese of Oxford. The church wardens are seeking grants from specialist charities, but it would be wonderful if you were able to contribute to the essential work needed on this historical instrument. One that has seen so many significant events in the lives of so many villagers and indeed been played at many moments of national importance.
Volunteers please! Great news as there was a ring on the front doorbell on Tuesday afternoon with a volunteer offer – thank you so much – you know who you are! If anyone else would like to become a volunteer either at The Lambourn Dementia Café (once a month), or Thursday Lunch club, the Youth Group please let me know. We can have a chat and take it from there.
Dates for Your Diary
- Saturday Sept 30th – am Gift Day St Michael & All Angels
- Sunday Oct 1st – 10.30am Patronal Festival service at St Michael & All Angels
- Sunday Oct 8th – 4pm Harvest Festival St James
- Friday Oct 13th – 7pm Harvest Supper St James – tickets from Fiona Drake
- Sunday Oct 15th – 11am Harvest Festival with a bring and share lunch St Michael & All Angels
- Sunday 22nd October – 12.00 Harvest Festival followed by lunch All Saints
- Friday 13th–15th October – Valley Green weekend (info from Pat Glover or Penny Locke)
- Wednesday Nov 29th – 6.30pm Confirmation Service Bishop Olivia St Michael & All Angels
- On a very practical note, would anyone be able to read the New Testament lesson in St Michael’s on Sunday please? And if you’re thinking you may like to occasionally read in church please let Wendy know firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, If you are reading this and thinking about either baptism or confirmation please do either email, phone or catch me for a conversation – no query ever too small!